Posted on November 18, 2018
1) Compromise on web development technologies
It’s very easy (especially if you are fed up enough to leave your current job) to try and look for the perfect fit in terms of technology and agile practice (you don’t want to go through this hassle again right?). In my experience it can be difficult to find a job that is ‘perfect’ in all areas often you will find jobs that cover most of the bases but not all of them. Given that this is the norm it might be worth compromising on some aspects.
2) Create a transparent online identity to prove you are a web developer!
I have mentioned this multiple times in other articles. And this could be THE most important advice. There is nothing stronger than proving you can do the job. I don’t care what anyone says. Make sure you open a Stack Overflow account and start answering questions. Then get your linked-in profile looking buff. Begin writing blogs, commit to open source projects (Github or Codeplex) and use an online continuous deployment tool like Appharbor.
3) Be happy with what you are currently doing
Whether it’s the projects you are working on inside work or the ones you are working on outside work then make sure you are happy with them. It can be hard when in work you are put on a project you don’t want to work on but I strongly recommend finding your peace with it. Become good at it and be diligent this will make it easier to be happy about it and this will come through in your interview. With regards to the projects you work on outside, well it should be easy to be happy with them if you aren’t then change them pronto!
4) Practice and learn about technologies that you need to know
If there is an area of your experience you are not too well versed in discussing or there is a project you have worked on that if you were questioned on you would falter then make sure you practice discussing it. Discuss it with your partner, the cat or even just to yourself. It will help you iron out problems with it before you try and bring it up in an interview. With regards to technologies that you don’t have but feel you should. Well the truth is many people embellish things on their CV. The problem is that you may get asked about it, so make sure you learn it inside out. Spend Saturdays learning about the stuff you want to work with.
5) Mirror the people interviewing you
If you’re being interviewed by a Geek crack geek jokes. If you’re being interviewed by a ‘Mumsy’ HR type then act innocent and for the ‘lads’ just laugh at all their jokes. Skills in being Chameleonic don’t come naturally for everyone but you can get better over time. You have to be mindful that the world comes in all shapes, sizes and types, you will get further if you can match your communication more closely with people!
Posted on November 17, 2018
Have you ever been watching television and been told about this great new website only to see an error message when you type it into your browser? Or been perusing Facebook and seen a link to a site that a friend thinks everyone should check out only to be told that the “server resources might have been exceeded”? This is a result of the website being unable to handle a traffic surge.
If you are unsure whether your website is able to withstand a sudden surge in traffic, you should speak with your web development team to find out what they are doing about it. There are actually two ways that you can ensure that your website will not crash:
- Choose a suitable host
Make sure that the hosting package you choose for your website is suitable for your needs. There is no such thing as an ‘unlimited package’ – there will always be a cap on the resources that you can use.
- Optimise your site to use fewer resources
Make sure that your web development team has optimised the website in a way that does not put undue stress on the server. You should try caching, compression, limit database queries and optimizing images.
Ultimately, you never know when your website will receive an unexpected traffic surge, which is why your web development team needs to make sure that they are prepared for a special mention on television or a share on Facebook. What use is all that free advertising if your site is going to go down the moment 20 people try to jump onto it all at once?
Posted on November 15, 2018
In a world where life is almost always conducted using modem lines and virtual pathways, keeping pace with technology has turned into an absolute necessity. This necessity has extended to the way people manage their business. Usually, a company that has no website is not considered a very credible company. Since we all live on a planet where online storefronts are the new window displays, companies have thus learned to respond to the need of having a website favorably.
The next thing to do is to find somebody which can set up your website for you, nice and easy. This is even more important if you are the sort of person who doesn’t really understand binary codes. But, finding a good website development company can be quite tricky, especially if you don’t know what to look for, in the first place. So, the following suggestions may do you a world of good if you pay heed to them.
1. Dedication. You don’t want to go for a web development company which cannot satisfy your every wish and request, right? So, choose one which is curtailed to seeing you achieve your goals for your business. This certain consideration will be obvious in a company which is willing to work with you, every step of the way, so that you’d get a website (and a web presence) that will herald all things wonderful for you and your business. Look for this particular trait in the web design company you’re eyeing. This will come in very handy.
2. Reputation.One of the most important things to look out for when you’re yearning for website maintenance services and website designing services. This is the thing that separates the good from the really good. The thing is, no matter how good a company can seem to be, what people are saying about the company dictates whether a company is really as good as it’s claiming to be. And, since Internet is pretty much what everyone is using to check something as of these times, verifying a company’s reputation is very easy. Never make the mistake of thinking that what people are saying about a certain company is not worth your time. Sometimes, they’re the very things that can help you differentiate between a good idea and a bad one.
3. Excellence. A good web design company can give you not only a good website, it can also give you sage advices about Internet marketing techniques like Search Engine Optimization. One key thing to knowing that is if the company has a healthy amount of Search Engine Optimization specialists or SEO consultants. You should see if the team that you’re wanting to hire is a team that will be worth all the effort, time and money you’ll put into them. Also, you should be totally sure that they can do a very good job, and they’d give you customized web application or website that will be the portal through which all sorts of good news would pass… and eventually reach you and your business.